Often employers search for employees on a short-term basis to manage their seasonal workload or specific project. Hiring full-time workers for these positions does not make sense as it tends to increase the company’s overhead unwantedly. Similarly, job seekers or employees search for opportunities to earn while learning, boost their skill level, gain knowledge in other domains, etc. According to Charles Spinelli, this is the time when a temporary staffing agency comes in to meet their requirements.
What Is A Temp Staffing Agency?
As per the 2022 market study by the Office Staffing & Temp Agencies, the temporary staffing service market size was over $250.2bn. Precisely, temporary staffing companies supply staff to businesses to meet their short-term need for excess workforce under contractual employment.
In essence, they perform as a link between different businesses and job seekers against their professional fees while relieving busy employers or their HR depart from the long botheration of hiring or firing them. Being specialized in the domain, they maintain a wide squad of candidates with an interest work on contract or temporary employees. Moreover, the staffing company employs those candidates on behalf of their client or works similar to an HR department from outside the company.
When Do Employers Hire Temporary Staffing Services?
- Frequent and short-term hiring
Many businesses experience an escalated requirement for skilled staff during specific periods of the year or peak seasons. For example, the hospitality, food, and retail industry requires huge manpower in the course of festive times, or IT employers need additional IT experts for specific projects. Thus, working with a temporary staffing agency is the best choice for businesses with vacancies for short-term or frequently in need of extra manpower.
- Relieving the in-house HR team
The effort involved in hiring temporary workers is overwhelming. Drafting the job duties, posting it on job portals shortlisting, scheduling interviews, preparing offers, or handling the exit process are all going to hamper the efficiency of the in-house HR team. Thus, it is wise to lessen the burden on the HR team by working with specialized temporary staffing agencies, says, Charles Spinelli.
- Test-run candidates
Many companies search for short-term candidates to meet the skills required for highly technical jobs. Reaching such tech-savvy candidates matching the job requirement is not easy. To ensure the candidates hired have the expertise to perform the role it makes sense to go for test-run candidates before hiring them permanently. Under such circumstances, working with temporary staffing agencies has become the growing trend to get to the right candidates and stay away from legal obligations.
How Does a Temporary Staffing Company Function?
- Working like a business partner, they shoulder the responsibility to find, recruit and manage candidates on behalf of an employer. Since they handle the whole process of hiring, this helps the client businesses to avoid the hassle of temporary hiring.
- All that businesses need to do is, to inform their basic requirements of temporary candidates to be hired. Accordingly, the agency will find the candidates fitting for the job from ready sources like candidates data banks, apart from putting ads, posting on job portals, analyzing resumes, screening potential candidates, arranging interviews, shortlisting candidates, etc.
- The temp agency deals with all documentation processes of providing contractual offer letters, payroll, taxes, etc. On completion of the job contract, they also perform the exit process as well. Since candidates work on the payroll of the agency to work on the contract on behalf of their client, the obligation of the client remains limited to paying only the wages in addition to the service charge of the agency.
In a nutshell, working with a temporary agency has a growing demand in the US because it comes with a series of benefits. Apart from streamlining hiring and making it faster with their huge database, and other mediums, they offer customized solutions, while trimming down the overhead of the businesses.